About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Monday, April 4, 2011

Childhood Favorites

I was thinking about different dishes from my childhood and hoping that they become favorites of our Grand baby Jayla.  I know she is only a year old, but we have already introduced her to Oxtails in sauce with macaroni, calamari, one of Janis' and my favorites Pork Chops and Macaroni.  She loves all of those and don't even think about eating shrimp in front of her or you might lose a finger!  She seems to be a pretty adventurous eater and we are happy about that.  She even likes most veggies you give her (except green beans).

Mom raised us to eat what was put in front of you.  There was no such thing as cooking different foods for someone who didn't really like what you were cooking that night.  "Eat what I cook or don't eat", that was her mantra.  I followed that rule with Janis as well and it worked.  She loves good food and will try just about anything.

There are just so many different foods that I love and have passed on that love for Mom's recipes to family and friends.  I love how eating something just brings memories flooding back, be it a holiday, special occasion or just sitting around the table with your family and discussing the days event.  I remember sitting at the kitchen table and Mom making me sit there until I ate my Lima Beans (still don't like them)!  I would love someone to send me a recipe to try that I might just like.  Remember Liver and Onions?  Couldn't handle it as a kid and but now enjoy it!  All of those tastes and now my own version of old family favorites are being passed on to a new generation in my great nieces and nephews and now a Grand Daughter! 

Now Mom made some terrific meals, but there where times when she took shortcuts too.  After all she was a working woman for most of her life and after my Dad died (I was all of 7 at the time) was the single Mother of a teenage son and young daughter.  She used frozen vegetables and frozen fries, but most of what I remember her cooking was from scratch.  There was no such thing as TV Dinners in our house!  Yes we went out to eat occasionally, but fast food just wasn't what it is today.  For us eating out meant a great Jewish Deli, a good Pizzeria or a Diner!  Mostly we ate at home both because of the cost and simply because it tasted better.  Family was what it was all about and we were encouraged to invite our friends over for lunch and dinner often.  It was her way of staying connected with us and gave her a better idea of what was going on in our lives.

So what is the point of this post you ask?  To encourage you to share, share your heritage, your stories and your recipes.  Be daring, try something new and make it yourself.  It's not difficult.  Sit at the table for dinner with your family and encourage your children to invite their friends to dinner.  La Famiglia is the most important thing in this world.  Pass on the traditions that were passed down to you and keep them alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment