About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Another Monday

Happy Belated Mother's Day to all.  Hope everyone out there had a wonderful weekend.  Unfortunately I have been down with a bit of a stomach bug for a couple of days, so hubby and I spent a quiet day at home.  We will be celebrating next week with our daughter and grand daughter with Dim Sum for brunch and then back here for goodness knows what goodies.

So here I sit on Monday morning finally feeling better and as if life is returning to normal.  The house is quiet and all the while I hear Mom's voice in the back of my head saying "time to get cooking".  Mind you we have a fridge full of left overs that need to be eaten including a serving of "Sausage and Radicchio Orecchiete" courtesy of The Cooking Channel's "Extra Virgin".  Pat made me this delicious meal and it was quick, easy and best of all delicious.  But crazy woman that I am - I just had to try out the new slow cooker that my dear husband gave me for Mother's Day.  I decided to make chicken with onions and mushrooms, which led to a pot of chicken stock going on the stove with the parts (neck, wings, back, etc.) left from the chicken I cut up and since the sauce from the chicken in the slow cooker has a rich tomato and wine sauce, we just have to have some fresh bread to soak up the juices, which means the bread maker is going as well; told you.....crazy woman!

Below is the recipe for this delicious pasta dish....Try it for a quick weeknight meal and I promise you will not be disappointed.  Thank you to my wonderful husband for a wonderful Mother's Day and yummy dinner.

Ingredients

  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped fine
  • 1 handful fresh mint
  • 2 fresh bay leaves
  • 4 (6-ounce) pork sausage links, casings removed
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1 handful walnuts, hand crushed
  • 1/2 head radicchio, thinly sliced
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for seasoning

Directions

Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and the sausages and using a wooden spoon, break up the sausages into small pieces as you brown them. Add the mint and bay leaves and continue to cook.

Once the sausage is golden brown, add the wine to the pan, and stir away, let the alcohol evaporate, then lower the flame and season with salt and pepper. Add the walnuts and let the sauce slowly simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package directions for al dente.

When ready to serve, add the radicchio to the sauce, and stir well. Cook's Note: You want to wait until the last minute to make sure that it stays crunchy, as opposed to wilted and cooked down.

Add the cooked pasta and toss. Add some grated Parmesan, to taste. Serve immediately.
Treviso

No comments:

Post a Comment