About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Vidalia Onion Season is Here




Before moving to Georgia, I had heard about Vidalia Onions, but can't actually remember having them.  But they are big deal here!  The truth is they are truly a very nice, sweet onion and come in variety of sizes, from very large (think of Spanish Onions) to small, young ones.   Folks here are very proud of them and rightly so.  Eat them raw on a burger, in salads, sauteed and used as a condiment, grilled with a bit of butter and stock or stuff them as I did for dinner the other evening.

With Pat feeling better, I decided to try something a bit spicy for dinner (I had made these once before and if I remember correctly, it was part of a large dinner, maybe Easter, and they were so filling we couldn't eat the rest of the meal...live and learn). My local Fresh Market had the perfect size onions for stuffing, I knew there was some Hot Italian Sausage in the freezer that was needing to be cooked, so on to cooking Stuffed Vidalia Onions for Dinner.  I recommend that you only make a small side if anything to go with these since they are very filling and for the most part unless you want some sort of starch, everything you need is in one portion.


Stuffed Vidalia Onions - Serves 2


Ingredients

2 large Vidalia Onions - peeled and middles removed
1 link Hot Italian Sausage - remove from casing
1 handful Italian Parsley - chopped
1 large handful grated Parmeggiano Cheese

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 350F.
Carefully remove the center of the onion (reserve for use in something else; salad), leaving several layers in tact, season lightly with salt and fresh ground pepper and set aside.


In a small bowl mix together the sausage, parsley and grated cheese.  Scoop sausage mixture into the center of the onions and mound slightly (not too much because it will expand while cooking.  Place stuffed onions into a buttered baking dish along with a bit of white wine or water and cover with foil.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes, remove foil and baste with the pan juices.  Cook for about another 15-30 minutes allowing the onions to brown slightly and are tender but not falling apart.



Vidalia Onions have a very short season, so if you can get them at your local market or if you are lucky enough to have a farmer's market here in our state that sells them, I say go for it while the getting is good!

Enjoy!

Vidalia Onion

No comments:

Post a Comment