About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chicken for Dinner Tonight

Today was a chicken kind of day.  Still not feeling up to par but needing to cook something comforting tonight.  So let's see what's in the cupboards.....I have some tomatoes that need to be used, a few crimini mushrooms and a few stray potatoes...Okay that does it, Italian Baked Chicken.  A one dish meal that just takes a little bit of prep and into the oven it goes.  Plus I get to use up some of little odds and ends in the pantry before it's too late.  It's kind of tough cooking for one (especially for me).  Looking forward to that change in another week when Pat finally comes home for a little while.  I'll also get to use the leftover chicken later this week for some homemade crepes.

This is one of our daughter Janis' favorites and since she doesn't like potatoes very much (go figure) I considered it a success when I could find a way to get her to eat them as a child!

Baked Italian Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes

1 Roasting Chicken, cut into portions (I used chicken leg quarters)
Several Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into quarters
1 medium yellow onion, sliced
1-15oz can stewed tomatoes with juice
1or 2 tsp. dried oregano
3 sage leaves, chopped
2 large cloves garlic, minced
salt and fresh ground black pepper
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large roasting pan, pour enough olive oil to thinly coat the bottom of the pan.  Add sliced onions and chicken.  Coat chicken with oregano, sage, garlic, salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.  Add potatoes and cook for about another 30 minutes.  
If you are going to add fresh tomatoes (I added a couple of plum tomatoes and some crimini mushrooms that had to be used) this is the time to add them along with your stewed tomatoes.  Continue cooking for about 15 minutes longer or until you are sure your chicken and potatoes are cooked through.

Serve with a nice crusty bread and if you like a salad.

There you have it, an easy dinner that's is terrific leftover and a great use for some of those veggies that need to be used.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Great chicken dinner idea, and all in one pan, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. I hate cooking for one. Most of the time I don't bother. Speaking of which, I have to come up with something for tonight. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always do a dish like this add whatever I have...my girlfriends mom added sausage and used to call this "garbage" as you threw in whatever you didnt need. chicken potatoes, peppers, etc. So homey and a comfort food.

    ReplyDelete