About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Friday, March 18, 2011

St. Patrick's Day Leftovers or Time for Bubble and Squeak

Hopefully you had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day and enjoyed some Corned Beef and Cabbage.  Now you are sitting with a fridge of left over Corned Beef for sandwiches and are wondering what in heck to do with the potatoes and cabbage that are left over.  Bubble and Squeak to the rescue.  There are a number of versions to the recipe but here is a simple and quick one for you.  You can make it with or without meat (since today is meatless Friday), but I happen to love adding some cooked chopped bacon to mine!

Bubble and Squeak Recipe (using leftovers)


cooked potatoes (roughly mashed)
cooked cabbage (chopped) - I also use any other veg from the corned beef like carrots, celery
1 small onion - finely chopped
3-4 slices thick sliced bacon, cooked and chopped (reserving bacon fat to saute onion)

Cook your bacon and set aside to cool before chopping.  Add chopped onion and saute until soft.  Remove from pan.
In a bowl smash potatoes (leaving them slightly chunky).  Add chopped leftover cabbage and vegetables, sauteed onion and chopped bacon.  Mix lightly until everything is incorporated.  Adjust seasoning to taste with salt and pepper.
Form mixture into individual patties and place into lightly oiled non stick pan on medium high heat.  Brown thoroughly before flipping and brown the other side.



That's it!  I had mine this morning with a fried egg on top.  Not bad, but as Pat would say, that's not the way to eat it.  Serve as side dish, or entree with a salad on the side.

1 comment: