About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

For my Cousin - Corned Beef and Cabbage

Marie was saying that she had never made Corned Beef and Cabbage and was asking for recipes.  So Marie, this one's for you.

When I have the time, (well actually when I remember to do it early enough) I cure my own brisket for this, but like most of you I will buy the corned beef already prepared at the grocery store.  Pat and I love it,, so I generally buy 2 of them, because one doesn't just allow enough left overs for sandwiches (we use the leftover cabbage and potatoes for Bubble and Squeek).

You will need carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf, cabbage and potatoes.

Remove the prepared corned beef from the package (be sure to save the little package of spices) and rinse well.  Then place in a large bowl with cold water and allow to soak for 2-3 hours, changing the water at least once.  This helps to reduce the salt content (I find most companies use way to much salt).

Now in a large pot place your beef, 2 carrots, 1 stick celery and 1 large onion all roughly chopped.  Add a bay leaf and your package of spices (that came with the beef), I also add extra cracked black pepper.  add enough water to just cover.  Bring to a low boil and then reduce to a simmer.  Allow to simmer for about 3 hours (until fork tender).  Remove meat from pot and add cut up potatoes.   About 10 minutes before your potatoes are cooked through add cabbage that has been cored and cut into quarters and add back your beef to reheat.

Remove meat from pot and allow to rest a few minutes before slicing.
Serve with butter, a good grainy mustard, rye bread and cold beer!

Happy St. Patrick's Day to one and all!

1 comment:

  1. yum! turned out very good!(even though I used basil instead of bay leaves...need to update the prescription on these glasses...lol) Thanks Judy!

    ReplyDelete