About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken Soup - Food for the Soul

I've been watching the weather up North, so this one goes out to my friends and family up there....Stay safe and dry!

When I'm feeling punky,down in the dumps or the weather is cold and damp, one of my favorites is Chicken Soup. Mommy made wonderful Chicken Soup....and then there's Pat's Chicken Soup. When he's at home (not somewhere else in this great wide world) he'll make a batch. And oh the wonderful things that come from that stock. The minute I come down with a cold or some form of "creeping crud" he makes it for me and all is well with my world.

In our house we always keep home made stocks in the freezer. They are a great quick go to for soup, stews, gravies and sauces. For those of you with busy lives who think "I don't have time for that", trust me when I say it doesn't take as long as you think; prep time is short and then you just let it simmer. The aroma coming from a pot of chicken stock on the stove just says "I love you". And for those who love the slow cooker (this one is on my personal wish list All-Clad 99009 Stainless-Steel 6-1/2-Quart Slow Cooker), I found a terrific recipe in the book "The Italian Slow Cooker"(I've made a number of the other recipes and have been quite happy". It makes a great stock and I just tweak it with it with whatever I'm in the mood for.

So go make some Chicken Soup today! Add some beaten egg, grated Parmigiano, and maybe some spinach, escarole or even better yet dandelion greens! Try making matzo balls. Make it your own and your family will love it!

Here's the recipe for Chicken Stock from The Italian Slow Cooker...

3 lbs chicken wings, backs or other parts
1 large onion, peeled
2 medium celery ribs with leaves, coarsely chopped
1 large carrot, coarsely chopped
6 whole peppercorns
A few fresh parsley sprigs
10 cups water

Combine all the ingredients in a large slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Let cool slightly. Strain broth into a bowl and discard the solids. Refrigerate until cold. Remove the fat from the surface.

Use within 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months.

Makes 2 1/2 quarts.

1 comment:

  1. love the recipe. will try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete