About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Lemon Coconut Pound Cake

I was invited to attend a baby shower today.  I've met the Mom-to-be on a couple of occasions as she is a  dear friend of one of my best friends (who will be known as "driving force" since she is the one who encouraged me to start this blog) .  Of course I said "I would love to".  "Driving Force" asked me to bake the above mentioned pound cake that she found in the latest issue of  Southern Living Magazine (I bake fairly well, some even say damn good!).  Why not?  I love experimenting with a new recipe on people for the first time.  Yeah I know, that's not the way you should do it, but I say why not.  At least you can get realistic feed back.  In case you haven't noticed, you can always tell how a recipe is going over by watching peoples faces.  No matter how hard people try, if it isn't good, you can tell by their expression.

The Lemon-Coconut Pound Cake Loaf looks absolutely yummy.  They also have some other really tasty looking treats including "Bacon Peanut Truffles" (Driving Force is making these for tomorrow and I will report back on how they came out) and "Cantaloupe-Bacon Relish" that I just can't wait to try.  There are a total of 7 pound cake recipes in this issue and I will be trying a couple of them.  Especially since berry season is approaching and I love fresh berries with pound cake.

So for my last post of the week I bring you--------------

Lemon-Coconut Pound Cake

Total: 2 hours, 35 minutes
Yield:
Makes 8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

  • 1/2  cup  butter, softened
  • 1 1/3  cups  granulated sugar
  • 3  large eggs
  • 1 1/2  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt
  • 1/8  teaspoon  baking soda
  • 1/2  cup  sour cream
  • 2  teaspoons  lemon zest
  • 1  cup  sweetened flaked coconut, divided
  • Lemon Glaze

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition. Stir in lemon zest and 1/2 cup coconut. Pour batter into a greased and floured 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.
3. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 to 15 minutes; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour).
4. Spoon Lemon Glaze over cake, and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup coconut.

Coconut Curlicues
Add a sweet tangle of fresh coconut shavings to any cake that could use an elegant, tropical note. Pierce 2 coconut eyes with an ice pick and hammer; drain liquid, and reserve for another use. Place coconut in a 9-inch cake pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until shell begins to crack; cool 10 minutes. Break open the outer shell with a hammer, and split coconut into several large pieces. Separate coconut meat from the shell using a sturdy, blunt-ended knife, and rinse in cold water. Cut thin strips from the meat using a vegetable peeler. Use immediately, or layer between damp paper towels in an airtight container, and chill up to 2 days.

Note:  The coconut curls are easy to make!  Have a terrific weekend everyone and Happy Cooking and Eating!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that must have a been a delight to devour. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-10.html

    ReplyDelete