About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Monday, March 28, 2011

Shitake Mushroom Polenta Bites

This weekend was a busy one.  Getting ready for my dear hubby to get home, daughter and Granddaughter here for a sleepover and Sunday brunch at the home of "Driving Force".  I need to catch my breath for a few minutes.  I'm still tired and it looks as if I may have a sick husband when he gets home.  So I guess I'll be on a soup making binge for the next couple of days. 

As is the case when we are invited to a brunch or dinner, I feel the need to contribute something!  So I decided to try out a new recipe.  This time it was "Polenta Bites" (I also brought an Artichoke/Asparagus Frittata, but wasn't too thrilled with the way it came out).  The Polenta Bites came out pretty good, but a little bit too much on the Tarragon.  They are quick and easy to make and the best part is they are served at room temperature.  Make ahead for brunch, an appetizer or any type of buffet.  I would normally use Chicken Stock to make this, but since "Driving Force" doesn't eat meat, I went with water (note to self....time to make some more Vegetable Stock).

Shiitake Mushroom Polenta Bites
3 cups Chicken Stock, Veggie Stock or Water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup Polenta
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup goat cheese (1/4 cup for your polenta, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish)
dried tarragon or fresh tarragon (to taste)
4 oz. Shiitake Mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
1 small clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp. oil

Preparation
Grease a 8" or 9" straight-sided baking pan with your favorite olive oil. Bring the stock and salt to a simmer in a deep heavy pot. Stream in  polenta, whisking (to avoid lumps). Next switch to a wooden spoon and cook slowly until the polenta is cooked and pulls away from the sides of the pot; about 20-40 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and 1/4 cup goat cheese and your fresh chopped herbs. Combine well.  Pour polenta into the prepared pan, level, wrap in plastic and chill well until firm (This can be done a day before).
Next turn polenta out onto a cutting board, trim sides and cut into 1" x 1" cubes and allow the cubes to come to room temperature.
In a small non-stick saute pan, heat the tablespoon oil. Add the shiitakes, a pinch of salt and sauté a few minutes until tender. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and allow to cool down before handling.
Before plating,  pipe or spoon a small bit of goat cheese on each polenta cube, top with a slice of shiitake, and a bit of your fresh herb or bit more goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment