About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

What's in a Name

So what's in a name and why did I call this "Sunday Sauce"?  Well it's about a love of food that started with my Mom's Sunday dinners, and since I'm of Italian descent - it's all about the sauce or as some call it gravy.    Mommy's was wonderful and it's one of those recipes that you just sort of learn through osmosis, years of standing on a kitchen chair stirring a pot on the stove, making meatballs and helping Mommy in the kitchen.  A lot of the recipes I have I learned just that way.  And in Mommy's world (I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with this) it's a pinch of this, a little of that.  You know it's right when that old familiar aroma or taste hits you and brings you back to that kitchen!

There are many variations on the same basic theme.  Even my 3 brothers all make our sauce just a bit different from each other.  Except for one basic rule......Sunday Sauce must include both beef and pork!  Oxtails, meatballs, sausage and when I can get them - pig tails!  Yup, those are a must.  Remember a lot of home style Italian recipes were based on peasant food and you didn't waste a thing.  Mom new how to make her dollar stretch.  Things like oxtails, pig tails, flank steak (we will discuss that at another time) were once very inexpensive.  Now they cost a small fortune but worth every penny!

Sunday Dinner usually meant macaroni (ziti), the meat from the sauce and delicious roast chicken.  Daddy would drive us down to the local bakery in Lodi, NJ to Modern Bakery for fresh hot rolls for Supper.  I can still remember just how they smelled.  Supper meant leftover chicken or sandwiches with Italian cold cuts like salami, capicola , etc. and of course delicious cheese.  Yes we really did eat like that!  Today that seems like so much.  A few years back my brother Joe and his wife Lois came to visit us from upstate NY and Pat and I had the rest of the family that is here over for Sunday Dinner.  I surprised them all by recreating this tradition (minus Sunday Supper).  We had a great time telling stories to the next generations of our family and a very difficult time eating all that food!

So here I share with you my "Sunday Sauce".  I hope that you will give it a try and cook something our family loves!  May it be a part of what your stories are made of and by all means "pass down your family stories to the generations to come!

                 Sunday Sauce
2 lbs oxtails
1 lb sweet Italian sausage with fennel
2 28oz cans plum tomatos
1 28oz can tomato puree
1 35oz can crushed tomatos
1 small can tomato paste
3/4 tsp. marjoram -dried
1 1/2 tsp. oregano -dried
1 1/2 tblsp. basil- dried
3 large cloves garlic - chopped
olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large heavy bottomed pot, drizzle enough oil to cover lightly.  Brown all of your meat in small batches, being careful not to crowd the pan (this will cause the meat to steam not brown).  As meat browns, remove from pan and continue to add in batches until all meat is browned.  If you have a lot of fat remove some of it from the pan leaving about a tablespoon or so in the bottom and add your tomato paste and garlic.  Toast the garlic until golden, all the while scraping the bits of garlic from the bottom.  
Now it's time to add the tomatoes.  I start with the plum and break them up with my hands (I like to leave some rather large chunks), then add all remaining tomatoes.  Add about 1-28oz can of water and stir well.  Add all of your dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste.  Add back the meat and give it a good stir to blend well.
Bring to a simmer and allow to cook slowly for about 4 1/2 to 5 hours.  Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.

Serve over your favorite pasta with your favorite grated cheese and of course your favorite glass of vino!
Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment