About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Home Sweet Home - Beef & Mushroom Soup

Pat mad it home very early this morning.  Quite a bit worse for wear and not feeling at all well.  So a lot of TLC is in order.  Not eating well for over a week and being dehydrated, I've opted for some very well de-greased soups and maybe some pudding for the sweet tooth I know he is bound to have.

Of course there is home made chicken soup and I decided to opt for a simple Beef-Mushroom and Vegetable Soup.  Luckily there was still home made beef stock in the freezer that I made a while back (thank you Julia Child).  So last night while watching the final episode of Top Chef All-Stars; congrats to Richard, I got the ingredients together and let it simmer for a while.  I just hope he is up to eating it later today.  For now sleep my sweet....you are home!

Beef-Mushroom Soup with Vegetables

1 lb very lean stew beef, cut into bite size pieces
1 small onion, minced
olive oil, to coat bottom of pan
1 stalk celery, chopped small
2-3 carrots, chopped small
3 quarts good quality beef stock
3-4 oz. Shiitake Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
4 oz Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
4 oz White Button Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup peas (I use frozen)
additional vegetables as you like
1 Bay Leaf
pinch of thyme
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In a heavy bottom pot or Dutch Oven bring oil to temp to brown your beef.  Add beef with a bit of salt and pepper and brown lightly.  Add minced onion and saute until translucent.  Add a bit of the stock to de-glaze pan.  Once you have gotten all the browned bits up add the remainder of your stock along with carrots and celery, bay leaf, thyme,salt and pepper.  Allow to cook until carrots are al dente.  If you are using other fresh vegetables allow them time to cook.   Add mushrooms and cook until just tender.  Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary.  At this stage you can add rice, barley or noodles just prior to serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment