About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Monday, March 21, 2011

Sunchokes - A New Favorite

Happy Monday!  I hope you had a wonderful weekend wherever you are reading this from.  Me, I was down with a cold/bug and didn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked.  I did get to go for a drive on Saturday (went to buy a small tractor for my hubby) and the drive with the top down was a great way to usher in the Spring!  So no cooking for me this weekend.  Then last night, I was looking at some of my previous posts and realized, "Hey, you didn't post your recipe for Sunchokes!".
Now in all fairness, I know this isn't for everyone (Pat, you might be one those).  The flavor faintly reminds me of artichokes and the texture when mashed/processed is not overly smooth, but all in all my first experiment in cooking them wasn't half bad.  I'm looking forward to trying them in a few different recipes including adding them to a salad (they will add a lot of crunch).  I served them with my Roman Oxtail Stew and they were wonderful and a very light addition to a rich beef dish.

Roman Oxtail Stew with Sunchoke Puree


So here goes:

1/2 lb Sunchokes (Jerusalem Artichokes)
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
salt
fresh cracked black pepper

Peel sunchokes and cut them into chunks (about the same size).  Place in a pot of salted boiling water and cook until tender (like you would for mashed potatoes).  Strain and place in food processor.  Pulse until chopped.  On low speed of your food processor, add cream and process until smooth (all large chunks are gone.)  Add salt and pepper to taste.

There you are quick and easy!  I also found some wonderful recipes here http://jerusalemartichokerecipes.blogspot.com/ that I'm looking forward to trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment