About Me

My photo
I love everything about food, especially cooking for my family and friends. When I have the time, I quilt! My favorite thing....spending time with our Granddaughter Jayla! Please feel free to leave comments, ask questions and let me know how you like the recipe!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Homecoming - Oatmeal Cookies

It's been a long 5 months.  Cooking for 1 most of the time, eating alone and very little baking.  At last my husband will be home to cook for and with and of course have him cook for me.  I love when Pat cooks.  He's wonderful in the kitchen and can just throw things to together and have them taste delicious.  There will be lots of cookies being baked, brownies and whatever he wants.  I love to spoil him.

Today will be a busy day.  Grocery shopping, baking and cooking some yummy things so when he gets off the plane tomorrow he comes home to some home-made lovin'.  There will be a quiche for breakfast in case he's hungry, chocolate brownies, oatmeal cookies and a big pot of chicken soup (He's not feeling well so chicken soup is in order).  So today I'm sharing my Oatmeal Cookie recipe.  These cookies come out of the oven soft and puffy and the best part is they stay soft.  I like soft cookies over crunchy, crispy ones; of course there are exceptions but when it comes to Oatmeal or Chocolate Chip, I prefer soft ones.

Oatmeal Cookies 


1 stick unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups old fashioned oats
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - optional
1 cup pecans or walnuts, chopped - optional

Instructions
Beat butter, shortening, vanilla, egg until creamy.  Combine flour, baking soda, salt and oats and stir together.  Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture (if adding chocolate chips, nuts or both add them at this point) and stir mix until combined together.
Cover dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F.  Place cookies (I use a small ice cream scoop) on lightly greased cookie sheets or Silpat lined cookie sheets and bake for approx. 11 minutes.  Allow to rest on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before moving to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment